Epson releases firmware updates on a regular basis, sometimes to fix bugs found in previous versions and at times to improve the performance of the printer. It doesn’t matter what’s the reason, but if you keep your printer firmware up-to-date, then you can expect better performance from your printer. Therefore, we have prepared this tutorial in which you will learn how to update the Epson printer firmware in simple steps.
Verify this Checklist
Before you try to update the firmware of your Epson printer, you must ensure that the following criteria are fulfilled:
- The driver of your Epson printer is properly installed on your computer.
- The Epson printer is in a ready-to-use state and is connected via Ethernet or USB.
- You have installed the Epson Software Updater to update the firmware of your Epson printer.
How to Download Epson Firmware Updater?
Epson Software Updater is a utility developed by Epson which allows you to update various software and drivers necessary for the proper functioning of your Epson printer.
If you don’t have that utility, then don’t worry because you can download that utility for free from the Epson website or you can download it here.
After downloading the Epson Software Updater tool, you should install it on your computer.
Things to Remember
While updating the firmware of your Epson printer, remember to follow these instructions:
- Don’t use the printer while its firmware is getting updated.
- Don’t turn off your printer or unplug its power cable during the update process. The LCD screen of the printer may turn blue or turn off during the update process, but don’t turn off your printer.
- After the completion of the update process, your Epson printer will automatically turn on. Also, printers with LCD screen will show home screen after restarting.
How to update Epson printer firmware?
Here are the steps to update the firmware of your Epson printer using the Epson Software Updater. You can follow the same steps for Windows 7, 8 and 10 OS.
- Click ‘Start’ button and type ‘Epson’ in search bar. From search results choose ‘Epson Software Updater’.
- From the drop-down list, select your Epson printer model number.
- Wait for the software to check for updates.
- Select the checkbox in front of ‘Firmware Updater’ and click on ‘Install’ button.
- Select ‘Agree’ and click ‘OK’ to proceed.
- Please wait for the software to download the firmware.
- The Epson Firmware Updater window will appear. Carefully, read the instructions and then click on ‘Start’ button.
- Wait for the software to update the firmware. This may take several minutes. Don’t turn off your printer or don’t try to use it for printing.
- Once the firmware update is complete. Click on ‘Finish’ button.
- Click ‘OK’.
- Please wait for the software to check for updates.
- When you see that no new updates are found in the ‘Essential Product Updates’ section, click on ‘Exit’ button.
- That’s it. Your printer firmware has been installed successfully.
As you can see above, updating the firmware of the Epson printer is really simple if you use the right software and follow the steps in the correct order. If for some reason the updater fails to update your Epson firmware, then your printer may go into recovery mode.