Installing a printer driver through Windows Update is not a difficult task. You can do it easily by following the below steps. Here in this article, we’ll show you how to install a printer driver through Windows Update in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10. Let’s go to the steps directly and follow the instructions given there.
Although you could download & install printer driver through its driver pack which is available on their official website, sometimes the drivers are not available for some particular model number printers or specific operating systems. In this case, we’ll have to get the printer driver from Windows Update.
How to install a printer driver through Windows Update
These steps could be applied for USB connectivity, Wi-Fi Connectivity, LPT cable (parallel cable connectivity). Follow the following steps.
- Before starting, make sure the printer is connected to the computer properly and it should be turned ON. The computer must be connected to the Internet as well to get the drivers from Microsoft Server.
- Open Printers Page.
For Windows 7, Vista, XP, Click on Start menu → Devices & Printers.
For Windows 10, 8, 8.1, click on Start Menu → settings → devices → printers & scanner.
- Click on Add a Printer.
For Windows 10, click on Add a printer or scanner → The printer that I want isn’t listed.
- Once add a printer wizard appears, click on “Add a local printer“. You may choose another option if you would like to “Add a network or wireless printer” or anything else.
- In the next window, select a port where your printer is connected right now. It should be USB001 or USB002 or USB003 or Dot4001 or Dot4002 or Dot4003. If your printer is connected properly, then one of the port should appear in your list.
If you won’t see even one port from these named ports, then it means your computer is not detecting your printer properly. Please double-check the printer connection manually and fix it first.
Alternatively, you can go to the device manager → and double-click on other devices → then right-click on the unknown device → and choose the “Update driver & software”. Click here to see screenshot.
For Network printers, select the printer from the searched list.
- In the printer driver screen, click on Windows Update. The Windows is updating the list of printers. It might take a few minutes to connect to the Microsoft server and then download its latest driver.
- Once the driver’s list has been updated with the new drivers, select your printer’s model number from the list and then click on Next.
- It will ask for the printer name, give the name and then click on Next button.
- After installing, It is asking for “do you want to share this printer on your network or not?” Click on “Don’t share this printer” and then click on Next.
- You will be prompted: “Would you like to set this printer as a default printer?” whenever you give print command, the printer will be selected by default. And print a test page to check the printer has been installed successfully or not. Set the settings according to your need and then click on Finish.
- After that, your printer will be installed successfully.
Most of the printer manufacturers provide printer drivers for download on their website. However, some drivers are not available for download, but you may install printer driver through Windows Update. Actually, the manufacturer provides the particular driver to the Microsoft server already, so that the users will get the drivers when they update their Windows. Even Windows will get the drivers automatically when you plug your printer to the computer if your Windows 10 is connected to the Internet. You can do it on demand as well. Getting the drivers through Windows update is not difficult. We have prepared a step by step guide on how to install a printer driver using Windows update with the screenshots. Follow the below given steps.
Questions & Answers
.......... No FAQs Found .........