Today in this article, we will talk about how to install a scanner driver manually on windows based computer (Windows 7, 8, 10). So, please read this article till the end. We will give you the detailed step-by-step instructions with the screenshots and with a video tutorial how you can install a scanner driver manually using its basic driver. Let’s get started.
There are two types of scanners available. A dedicated scanner device and a scanner which is inbuilt in an all-in-one printer. Although, the scanner driver comes along with the printer and scanner when we purchase it, or we can easily download it from its official website.
Mostly the scanner driver comes along with an auto installer format (.exe). Most of the installer installs the driver successfully, but sometimes it doesn’t. In this case, we will have to install the scanner driver manually. When we install the scanner driver manually, we need its WIA / Twain scanner basic drivers. So let’s get started, how to install a scanner driver manually using its basic driver. We will do it through the device manager so please follow the following instructions carefully.
We are taking an example of Canon MX328 scanner (all-in-one printer). Please change it with your scanner model number, this is only for example.
Step-by-step instructions on how to install the scanner driver manually
The following steps are for Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Server 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019.
Watch a video tutorial on how to install scanner driver manually
Manual Steps with screenshots
- First of all download the scanner’s basic driver from Internet. Go to www.freeprinterdriverdownload.org and use its search option to search your model number and download its basic driver. Or you can extract the scanner driver from its full feature driver installer. Click here to know how to download basic driver for scanner.
- The driver file should be in the zip format. So, unzip the file by right-click on it and choose extract in separate folder option.
- Open the extracted location and copy the path from the folder’s address bar.
- Open the device manager. All the connected devices are shown here.
- If your scanner is already installed, then it goes to “imaging devices” else it will go to under “Other devices“.
- Double-click on “Other devices“. You will see your scanner entry as an unidentified device.
- Right-click on it and click on update driver software.
- Click on the second option “Browse my computer for driver software“.
- Now, you’ll have to paste the copied path here in the “Search for driver software in this location” field.
- Make sure to include the double-quote before and after that path like the following screenshot.
- Select the check box of “Include Subfolders“.
- Click on Next. It will start installing the software drivers.
- After finished, you’ll a message “Windows has successfully updated the driver software for this PC“.
- Your scanner driver has been installed successfully and it is moved to “Imaging Devices” instead “Other Devices” as you can see in the below image.
Questions & Answers
Search for Answers / Ask a Question - you'll get answer as soon as possible. It's Free
Question: Why is scanning not working? I deleted driver and downloaded from your site shows me that it is a problem.
Answer: It could be a hardware issue with your scanner. Does it give you an error message while scanning the document? Or what? If you explain the specific issue with your scanner then we'll help you exactly to the problem. So please explain the problem in detail so that we can help you in a right way.