Several Epson printer users tend to encounter Epson Error Code 0x97 during their printer’s lifetime. This error completely disrupts their printing tasks as their Epson printer is unable to print anything. If you are encountering this problem right now, then you have arrived at the right place. In this tutorial, you will learn how to fix Epson Error Code 0x97. Although the solutions shared below require some technical knowledge, we you can easily perform them by following our instructions in this tutorial.
What is Epson Error Code 0x97?
This error occurs suddenly without any warning. In this error, Epson tells you to refer to the printer documentation as the printer stops printing completely. Sometimes the printing paper doesn’t move and sometimes paper is pulled by the printer, but is thrown out without printing anything. Therefore, you are unable to print using your Epson printer until you permanently fix this issue.
What Causes Epson Error Code 0x97?
This error is reported by users who have been using their printers for a long time and also by users who haven’t used their printer for a long time. This is why most people are highly confused as to what is causing this error.
We believe that this error is caused due to ink blockages in your printer cartridge or its nozzle. This can happen when you have used your printer too much without cleaning the cartridges. Also, this can happen when you haven’t used your printer for a long time as it may lead to drying of ink. Both of these conditions can cause ink blockages.
How to Fix Epson Error Code 0x97?
The solutions we have shared below should be tried one-by-one. If the first solution doesn’t work, then move to the next one. In case you have already tried one of the below mentioned solutions, you can skip it.
Solution 1: Disconnect and Reconnect Printer
Epson recommends this solution by default in the error message. This might work for a few people, but doesn’t work for many.
- Disconnect your Epson printer from every connected device and unplug its power cable as well.
- Now pull out all the cartridges installed in the printer one-by-one.
- Reconnect all the cables including USB and power cable.
- Reinstall the ink cartridges back to the printer.
- Restart your printer and check if the error has been resolved or not.
If the problem still exists, then move to the next solution.
Solution 2: Clean Print Head
You can use Epson Printer Properties to perform print head cleaning. This will help in clearing minor ink cartridge blockages, which might revive your printer. The reason you should perform this method is because it’s really simple and if the blockage is minor, then your problem will get solved easily.
- Open Epson Printer Properties and click on “Head Cleaning“.
- Choose “All Colors” and click the “Start” button.
- Waiting for the head cleaning process to be completed. It may take some time.
- Click ‘Finish’ to complete the process.Now try to print from your printer. If the problem is still not solved, then move to the next solution.
Solution 3: Clean Print Nozzles
This cleaning process is a bit complex as you will have to manually perform some mechanical tasks. To successfully complete this process, you will need: kitchen paper towels, syringes, small connecting tube and cleaning liquid. Follow the steps given below carefully in their exact order to get the desired result.
- Switch off your printer and disconnect its power cable. Open the printer cover and take out all the cartridges.
- Now fold a tissue paper towel and place it on the floor of the printer, then slide the cartridge holder over the paper towel.
- Fill the syringe with cleaning liquid and attach the open end of the tube in one of the nozzle holes. Now, gently push the cleaning liquid using the syringe.
- Once the cleaning liquid has passed through the nozzle, remove the tube. You will be able to see the waste ink absorbed by the paper towel.
- Repeat the above cleaning process for each color nozzle (total 4). Then, slide the cartridge holder and remove the dirty paper towel.
- Use a fresh paper towel to clean the printer floor from where the dirty paper towel was removed. Also, clean the cartridge holder for any cleaning liquid or other waste. Then, reinstall the cartridges.
- Now, close the printer lid, reconnect the cables and restart your printer to check if it’s printing properly or not.
If this solution didn’t help you, then go for the final solution given below.
Solution 4: Call Epson Support
Ideally, this is the solution you should try first if your Epson printer is under the warranty period. Epson is known to send replacement printers for this problem if the affected printer is under the warranty period. However, if your printer is not under the warranty period, then you should also call Epson Customer Support and ask them to guide you on fixing this problem.
Now you know how to fix the Epson Error Code 0x97 issue. All the solutions we have shared above work for most people. We hope our fixes will help you solve your problem as well.